Reed Hall, formerly known as Streatham Hall, is an Italianate mansion which was built for Richard Thornton West in 1867. It is now incorporated within the site of the University of Exeter.
The impressive Italianate terrace gardens lead to the extensive collection of specimen trees planted by the Robert Veitch nurseries that flourished in Exeter at that time. The sale particulars of 1903 provide extensive details of the planting of the pleasure grounds. It claimed that ‘the mansion is surrounded by most beautiful pleasure grounds arranged in terraces and including an exquisite Italian garden, with lake and superb conservatory and palm house. There are extensive fruit and vegetable gardens and complete range of glass . . . The Builder and Gardener have manifestly worked hand-in-hand and, under the mellowing effects of time, nature has perfected in her generous way the original design.’
Surviving garden features also include the pinetum and ornamental pond. The Palm House was removed to the Imperial Hotel in Exeter. The grounds are open to the public.
Travel to Reed Hall: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/visit/directions/streatham/
Reed Hall Brief Historie: PDF Download